This study is comparing two types of dental implants which will be used to support/retain a removable denture in the edentulous mandible (jawbone where there is no current teeth). Participants will be divided into two groups and have one implant placed in the midline of the mandible, after which the patient’s existing denture will be modified to fit the implant.
This clinical trial will have an estimated 50 participants, all of whom will be healthy edentulous (missing teeth) individuals 20-75 years of age who have complete dentures in the upper and lower arch. The participants will be fitted with one of two types of titanium dental implants. The study began on June 15th 2012 and is estimated to be completed by December 21st 2022.
- Be between 20 and 75 years of age
- Be edentulous and have both upper and lower complete dentures
- Present with ASA I or ASA II and no medical contraindications to implant treatment
- Have adequate bone volume for placement of one (1) 4.0 mm diameter titanium dental implant with a minimum length of 10 mm in the symphyseal area (=midline) of the anterior mandible
- Show absence of pathology such as cysts, infections in the gum tissue or bone and remaining roots.
- Be able to understand the procedures and have a jaw opening range of 30 mm or more
- Ongoing chemotherapy
- Previous radiation to head/neck
- Ongoing corticosteroid medication
- Ongoing blood thinner medication
- Ongoing medication with psychopharmacological drugs
- History of alcohol/drug abuse
- Remaining teeth/root tips
- Poor quality /fractured/severely worn dentures that cannot be modified to fit the implant
- Jaw opening range less than 30 mm
This study is taking place in the Regional Research Clinic, School of Dentistry at the University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States, 98025. For further information, please contact Mats Kronstrom, DDS, Ph.D on 425-877-7345 or at email@example.com. You can also contact Mary Kathleen Hagstrom, RDA on 206-685-8132 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This study is sponsored by the University of Washington.
Clinical TrialsView All Clinical Trials
Immediate Placement and Stabilization of Dental Implants With Tetranite Stabilization Material
This goal of this study is to determine if a new bone adhesive is useful in stabilizing dental tooth implants. Data…
The Eztetic Dental Implant System
This is an observational study in which patients in need of dental implants in the front regions of the maxilla or…
Short Dental Implants vs. Long Dental Implants
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the survival rate of 5 mm short implants compared to longer implants (10…
Comprehensive Alveolar and Tooth Esthetic Replacement
The purpose of this study is to evaluate whether including an allogeneic gum graft (a graft from an external donor)…
Impact of Laser-modified Abutment Topography on Peri-implant Mucosal Integration
This study is looking at the benefits of using a laser-etched abutment during dental implant treatment. An abutment…